A fun and atmospheric map using the ‘ShaneChurch’ texture package from UT (known from DM-Gothic), which by itself is a relative rarity among SP maps. And it does so quite convincingly. The story implementation is not too strong though. You are sent in as a one-man rescue mission into this ancient church to save some scientist and researchers from alien attackers – the Skaarj. There are a handful of translator messages, but there is relatively little depth (and logic) to the story. However, depending on what kind of player you are you might not even notice these shortcomings, especially the first time you play, as the map is quite atmospheric with the music selection being Wargate, small signs and scripted sequences preparing you for ambushes – and there is an adequate amount of them, nearly every fight as a matter of fact. The technical execution is good, this is a solid map with nice (often functional) rooms with well-placed decorations that break during violent shootings. Overall, despite it’s resemblance to a well-know DM map, the location is quite convincing. An enjoyable short SP experience with an unfortunate abrupt ending, but if it is indeed ‘to be continued’ as it says at the end, we might forgive.
We have two versions available, the original release and the improved second edition released on 9th November 2013. The latter is the recommended download.
The changes/fixes in the second edition are as follows:
– Improved difficulty filtering
– Architectural improvements
– Better balanced inventory placement
– Slight changes in dynamic ambient sounds
– Higher detailed lighting and shadows
– Gameplay enhancements (mainly doors)
– Better balanced enemy placement, less attribute editing
– Slight changes to translator messages
– Small texture improvements (usage and alignment)
– ONPFootsteps.uax missing from previous version now included
Note: if you choose to download this first release, you can extract the missing ONPFootsteps.uax package from the second edition or from the Operation Na Pali campaign.